Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Homeschool High School Physical Education PE Lesson Plan 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Grade

So whenever I would Google something like "homeschool high school lesson plans" or anything similar, I came up with jack squat. Or something I had to pay for. And when that happens, I spend many hours working on my own lesson plans and then I know I have to share them with others for free!

This is for a Catholic homeschool co-op with about 30 kids in the class, so I had to leave some things out because of class size and the size of the gym.

I am supposed to have 2 adult helpers, so I am hoping to prep them ahead of time so we can each work with a group of 10 roughly.

I only have about 45 minutes for the class because Mass is directly afterward and we want to make sure the kids have some time to freshen up before going to church (time to change back into their uniforms, etc.). Co-op committee is working on exact wording so we are all on the same modest page. Don't need any "distractions" ... know what I mean?

The only sport I know how to play decently is baseball. So I am going to be learning some new things for sure. And then filling in with lots of random fun things that get us moving. I don't think gym class just has to be about learning new sports and how to play them because obviously it didn't work for me during all 13 years of my schooling. But I will never forget the FUN gym days when we got to play with the parachutes and just mess around MOVING OUR BODIES. Structure can be good and structure can also be stifling. I'm going to try to make it work.

I'm starting every class with stretches and 3 laps around the gym. There's your structure. I'm done. I also like to know what's going on so at the end of each class I'll let the kids know what we're doing the next week. Maybe even pop a note up in our grading system to let everyone know just for fun.

No fitness logs, nothing to read outside of class. No homework. At first I felt bad, like I wasn't being a rigorous (hate that word) enough teacher for what some of the parents want. Then I realized Harvard won't care exactly how or what I taught these kids in PE or if they kept a daily fitness log or wrote me a report on their favorite sport or athlete.

Fake homework: put your flipping phone down and go move your body the rest of the week, m'kay?

Here we go, and I'll let you know at the end of the year how it worked out! In case you're interested, here are the books I'm using, as well as online resources and also STUDENT TEACHERS, yo! I'm assessing in the first class what everyone is good at so I can have them help teach and give them some teaching experience! I will also have 2 helpers so I will find out what they already know as well.



Physical Education
Grades 7-12 Wednesdays, Third Hour
10:45-11:45 (Mass is at noon)
Gym

*You are allowed to quickly change between 2nd and 3rd hours into something appropriate for gym class. Comfortable but modest, please. I won’t work you crazy hard but you might break a sweat and if you wear a skirt for your uniform, you might want to change into long shorts or sweatpants. More direction on this will be coming from the committee so everyone is clear on what’s expected as far as clothing J Mass is at noon so I will make sure you’re out a bit early so you can get changed and be on time.

Description:
Stress the importance of physical fitness and taking care of the body God has provided for us the best we can. Running, stretching, badminton, soccer, tennis, handball, kickball, dodge ball, wall ball, jump rope, cardio, volleyball and more.

1st Semester 2016

1.      August 24
Stretching and laps and attendance
Getting to know you question activity back and forth across gym
Talk about what you do outside this class for physical fitness on a regular basis
Kickball if time

2.      August 31
Stretching and laps and attendance
Dodgeball, Kickball

3.      September 7
Stretching and laps and attendance
VOLLEYBALL: Intro, Rules, Serving, Bump, Set Pass
Keep It Up (passing skills) with volleyball or beach ball

4.      September 14
Stretching and laps and attendance
VOLLEYBALL: Spike & Tip, Block, Dig

5.      September 21
Stretching and laps and attendance
VOLLEYBALL: Offensive and Defensive Strategies and Game Play

6.      September 28
Stretching and laps and attendance
VOLLEYBALL: Finishing up, more game play

7.      October 5
Stretching and laps and attendance
Bean Bag Fitness Challenges

8.      October 12
Stretching and laps and attendance
Bean Bag Fitness Challenges and Clean Up Your Trash

9.      October 19
Stretching and laps and attendance
TENNIS: Intro, Rules, Ground stroke forehand, backhand, control

10.  October 26
Stretching and laps and attendance
TENNIS: Serve, ground strokes, demo doubles games

11.  November 2
Stretching and laps and attendance
TENNIS: Volley and game play; Smash and game play
No Rules Tennis

12.  November 9
Stretching and laps and attendance
SOCCER: Intro, Rules, Dribbling, Passing

13.  November 16
Stretching and laps and attendance
SOCCER: Shooting, Heading (?), Trapping, Tackling

14.  November 30
Stretching and laps and attendance
SOCCER: Goaltending, Offense, Defense

15.  December 7
Stretching and laps and attendance
Volleyball, Tennis and Soccer Recap and Quiz
Hungry Hungry Hippos

16.  December 14
Stretching and laps and attendance
Parachute fun


2nd Semester 2017

1.      January 18
Stretching and laps and attendance
Partner games: king of the mountain, fake and push, toe boxing, push-up tag

2.      January 25
Stretching and laps and attendance
HANDBALL: Intro, Rules, Passing Drills and Games

3.      February 1
Stretching and laps and attendance
HANDBALL: Shooting Drills and Games, Skill Games

4.      February 8
Stretching and laps and attendance
Jump rope activities

5.      February 15
Stretching and laps and attendance
Team games: tug of war, rope jousting, etc.

6.      February 22
Stretching and laps and attendance
HACKEYSACK

7.      March 8
Stretching and laps and attendance
BASKETBALL: Intro, Rules, Ball-Handling Skills

8.      March 15
Stretching and laps and attendance
BASKETBALL: Passing and Catching, Dribbling, Play

9.      March 22
Stretching and laps and attendance
BASKETBALL: Lay-Up and Push Shots, Jump Shots, Play

10.  March 29
Stretching and laps and attendance
BASKETBALL: Defensive and Offensive Strategy, Play

11.  April 5
Stretching and laps and attendance
More Team-Building Games

12.  April 19
Stretching and laps and attendance
BADMINTON: Intro, Rules, Clear Shots

13.  April 26
Stretching and laps and attendance
BADMINTON: Serve, Smash, Drop & Drive Shots

14.  May 3
Stretching and laps and attendance
BADMINTON: Net Shots, Game Play

15.  May 10
Stretching and laps and attendance
Handball, Basketball and Badminton Recap and Quiz
Hungry Hungry Hippos


16.  May 17
Stretching and laps and attendance
Parachute fun






No comments:

Post a Comment